Fashion

Monday 7 September 2015

Im an Essex Girl


I know I said I would write a lot about fashion and that would be all that my blog is about, but I love to write about things I'm passionate about otherwise whats the point in it? I always found that at school when in English the supply teacher would say 'write a letter to your head teacher about changes you wish to make the school' I mean come on, do you really expect me to do that work?

1. Nothing is going to happen whether or not I write the letter
2. The supply teacher will most probably loose the work
3. Nobody does work in supply lessons
4. Whats the point in writing something I'm not interested in

Give me a 1000 word essay on whatever I like and I'll happily oblige. So here I am going to write about something I feel passionate about. I was in what I find a pointless lesson at college when the new photography teacher, who by the way was the head photographer at Vivienne Westwood (I know how did she end up working in a college in essex I really don't have a clue), started talking about a previous idea she had with in her school. A group of year 13's held a protest outside parliament about Essexism and the stereotype that Essex women have. 


On wikipedia the definition of an Essex girl is 'a female viewed as promiscuous and unintelligent, characteristics', Being a girl from Essex I strongly disagree, if this is the true perception of women from where I live then I can assure you I do not fall under this category. Okay I'll admit in my year nine days I went through the orange, fake tan, eyelashes at parties and very thick make up. It took me a while but slowly my perception of my self began to change, my self image I didn't want to fit in this stereotype and I certainly didn't need to wear fake tan when it was -15 degrees! Anyways getting back to it, this is something I feel strongly about this is the area I was born and raised and the perception of women in my area is being dragged through the mud.

As soon as you google 'Essex Girl' the images that comes up is full of orange and girls dressing to out bluntly, slaggy. I don't want people to think that is what I am like just because of wear I am from, I hope to change this and my fashion shows I am not like the typical 'Essex Girl'. Fashion really can
change peoples view on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment