Fashion

Tuesday 6 October 2015

'We Should All Be Feminists'

I am a feminist, I think we all know that by now! Its something I feel passionate about and something that drives me. A lot of people think that feminism is something to be afraid of and is a negative thing, but I think it is very miss understood. I recently read a book called 'We Should All Be Feminists' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie it is a modified version of a speech she gave on feminism and without sounding to cliche it really inspired me. She describes her upbringing and how someone very close to her called her a feminist but used in it a negative way as if it was a dirty word.

When I asked my boyfriend are you a feminist he replied with "I don't know what it is, but I know you are". Maybe I have gone on a little bit too much about feminism but its something I'm passionate about. The discussion came up in my tutor group, bearing in mind I go to an all girls sixth form (yes its very bitchy) and I was shocked at the amount of girls who hated the idea of Feminism, I know that sounds sexist expecting girls to be a feminist, but being a feminism doesn't mean you are outspoke or rude. It means that you believe in equality and that women should be allowed to do whatever they want and be able to do the same as men. If you haven't read this book you really should and even if you don't like reading its only 48 pages so its really not that difficult!

If you haven't seen Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie speak before then you really should!


No comments:

Post a Comment