Fashion

Monday 17 August 2015

do devils wear prada?

I guess you can say my obsession  with fashion all started with the devils wears prada the film, yes I cheated I watched the film before I read the book. Picture this my seven year old self going up an escalator in the shopping centre and I see the poster for it the first time. It looked so elegant and sophisticated all at the same time, I was over whelmed with it and I begged my mum to take me to see it at the cinema but being the over protective mum that she is I was not allowed because I was not 12 which was the rating of this film. When I finally got to watch it, it instantly turned into my favourite film and still is today (along with several others) me and my best friend watched it every time we had a sleepover.

I loved the people in it the 'runway girls' that is where it all began, the dream of becoming one. Cringe! I know but its the truth, I wanted to be one. I loved the character Miranda Preistley she was so ruthless and harsh but she was amazing at her job, and always put Runway before herself and that is what I loved about her. The dedication she had with fashion and the passion, even if she did make a few people cry she did it for the magazine and for it to work. Obviously she's fictional and some people may say it crazy to find her aspirational but I do, it was her drive and love for fashion that made me so interested in it.

The makeover scene for me with Andy when she walked in with chanel boots and her hair and make up done to perfection was one of my favourites. Everyone stopped and stared at her because of the clothes she wore. It made me see how people were treated differently because of the clothes she wore. This could be a good thing or a bad thing but if you work in fashion you can't walk on to a shoot with a skirt you nan give you for Christmas five years previously. So no wonder Andy got judged for her 'hideous skirt' but it made me see how fashion can really help you identify your true self and for people like me show others who you are.

For me I am not very good at meeting new people, never have been I just don't know what to say. Some people will think I'm quiet and conserved but those who know me know that I can be very loud and outspoken, but if I wear something you get an idea of me and who I am. My real personality is shown through the clothes, saying I love your top, where did you get it? (without trying to sound like Regina George) is an instant ice breaker.

Okay I've gone a bit off course now but I mean this is what the film showed me, how much I would love to work in fashion and help me choose my career path. The idea of working in fashion, going to fashion weeks and meeting designers, going to
shoots, writing! It all appealsto me. I just didn't know how I would get there and I still don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment